Links to Scrabble Related Goodness
We are happy to provide the following links to Scrabble related information and whatnot. If you know of anything you feel should be added, please drop us a note!
Scrabble Books | Scrabble Boards | Tiles, Timers, Racks, and Bags|
Scrabble Software | Scrabble Word Lists | Online Scrabble Resources | Web Sites of Other Clubs | Miscellaneous Scrabble Links (Gifts, Merchandise, etc.)
We suggest the following Scrabble related books. They've helped us,
and we hope they will help you. If you decide to purchase any of these
books, we ask that you use the links below, and TucsonScrabble dot com
will receive a percentage of the sale.
top of page
Official Scrabble Player's Dictionary, 4th Edition—
Commercially available Scrabble dictionary. This dictionary contains
definitions but does not contain words considered offensive or vulgar.
- Letterati: An Unauthorized Look at Scrabble®— This book examines the origins, strategies, changes, and the business behind competitive Scrabble in North America.
- Scrabble Word-Building Book— Companion book to the Official Scrabble Player's Dictionary that lists thousands of words and ways to build on them by adding to their fronts and backs.
- Word Freak: Triumph, Genius, and Obsession in the World of Competitive Scrabble Players— An excellent book that details the culture of organized Scrabble.
Scrabble— Written by Joe Edley, a two-time National Scrabble
Champion and the NSA's Director of Clubs and Tournaments, is a must-read
for everything you need to know about succeeding in the world of organized
- Bob's Bible: Words, Anagrams, and Hooks— A Scrabble study book boasting over 80,000 words; 60,000 hooks; and 10,000 anagrams.
Complete Wordbook for Game Players: Winning Words for Word Freaks—
Expert player Mike Baron's incredibly thorough study guide of word
- Word Nerd Workbook
#1— A puzzle/study book by expert player Peter Schwartzman.
80% of profits are donated to literacy charities
If you want to play Scrabble, you'll need a board— Commercial Boards | Custom Boards
Commercial Scrabble Boards
- Scrabble - Deluxe Edition— The commercial board of choice for organized Scrabble play.
- Scrabble - Onyx Edition — This is a new edition of the board, the prototype of which was introduced at the 2004 New Orleans Scrabble Championship tournament.
- Deluxe Travel Scrabble— The smaller, foldable version of the Deluxe Edition made with traveling in mind.
Scrabble— A new twist on the game featuring a game board
with almost twice the playable surface as well as quadruple scoring
- Scrabble Junior— An introductory version of Scrabble designed for the 5-10 year old set. This is a good way to play with your kids without making them cry.
Custom Scrabble Boards
top of page
Scrabble Tiles, Timers, Racks, and Bags
Organized Scrabble always has room for cool equipment— Tiles | Timers | Racks | Bags
- Protiles— Virtually indestructible plastic tiles. The tile of choice for organized Scrabble play. These come with a lifetime guarantee and free tile replacement.
- SamTiles— Special Protiles made especially for SamTimer.
- American Sign Language Scrabble Tiles— Special tiles designed to help learn or teach the basic letters in American Sign Language.
- Replacement Tiles— Hasbro will replace individual tiles from Scrabble sets free of charge. US residents contact Hasbro, Inc., Consumer Affairs by phone at (888) 836-7025. Canadian residents can contact Hasbro at (450) 670-9820.
- SamTimer™— Sam Kantimathi offers three styles of digital timers.
- Adjudicator 3000™— The Adjudicator site offers two models of digital timer.
top of page
There is a variety of software available with which to play Scrabble, study Scrabble, or help your game in other ways— For Windows | For Macintosh | For PDAs and Mobile Phones
Scrabble Software for Windows (F = Freeware)
Scrabble Software for Macintosh (F = Freeware)
- Quackle—Free crossword game artificial intelligence and analysis tool that rivals the best players in the world. F
- Scrabble (Atari)— The original Atari version of Scrabble.
- Scrabble font— Scrabble font for Mac OS. F
- Scrabble icons— Very cool 3-D icon set for Mac OS. F
- Orthograf— A version of Scrabble specifically for Mac OS.
- Zyzzyva— A fantastic word study and adjudication program for most all operating platforms. F
Scrabble Software for PDAs, Mobile Phones, Gaming Systems, etc. (F = Freeware)
Palm OS users should see out article Scrabble and Palm OS PDAs
- Crosswords (Palm OS and PocketPC)— Open source implementation of Scrabble for handhelds with customizable dictionary files. F
- Jabble 1.5 (EPOC)— Java implementation of Scrabble for Series 7 and netBook users. F
- LAMPWords (Palm OS)— Word lookup utility featuring TWL2, SOWPODS, and other dictionary files. F
- Metagrams CE (Windows CE)— Flashcard application for studying word lists. F
- Niggle (Palm OS)— Black and white version of Scrabble that was supposedly the basis for the commercial version. Expert level is extremely challenging. F
- Pocket LeXpert (PocketPC)— Word building utility with thousands of predefined word lists that allows you to generate custom study lists. F
- Pocket LeXpert (Smartphone)— Word building utility with thousands of predefined word lists that allows you to generate custom study lists. F
- RoadLingua (Palm OS and PocketPC)— A very easy to use dictionary shell. Once you have RoadLingua, download the free OWL2 package, a database of all the OWL2 words and definitions from our pals at cross-tables.com.
- Scrabble (PlayStation)— Version of Scrabble for PlayStation 1 and 2 consoles.
- Scrabble for PDAs (Palm OS and PocketPC)— Scrabble game for Palm OS and PPC operating systems.
- Scrabble + Monopoly PDA Expansion Card (Palm OS)— Scrabble and Monopoly games on one expansion card.
- Super Scrabble (Game Boy)— Version of Scrabble for Game Boy consoles.
- WordFind for Palm OS (Palm OS)— A dictionary search application designed with Scrabble in mind.
top of page
Online Scrabble Resources
- North American
Scrabble Players Association (NASPA)— Web site for the governing
body for organized tournament and club play in North America.
- NASPA Bulletin—
NASPA's Official Monthly Newsletter.
- The Last
Word Newsletter — Cornelia Guest's monthly independent and
comprehensive look at the world of Scrabble. (Well worth your time!!)
- Internet Scrabble Club (ISC)— The premiere site for realtime online Scrabble.
Detailed historical tournament statistics for all NASPA and NSA rated
A fun site for entertaining and educational Scrabble video clips by
- Lexulous— A site for realtime online Scrabble.
- The Scrabble FAQ— A monster list of Scrabble links, trivia, history, etc.
Rating Calculator— A tool for calculating ratings using
the NSA's new rating system. (eff 1-7-09)
- The SCRABBLE Rack— A Collection of Scrabble word lookup tools.
- Scrabble Word Finder—
A very easy to use utility for determining the highest scoring play
possible given a board's setup and your tiles.
- Crossword Games Pro— An unofficial mailing list for competitive Scrabble players
- Quadplex— A java-based online Scrabble word game that allows for free play as a guest or memberships such as no ads, your own rating, more settings, forums and chat, robot opponents, statistics and tournaments.
top of page
Web Sites of Other Scrabble Clubs
The National Scrabble Association maintains a roster of North American Scrabble clubs. If any of those clubs has a web site, we'll try to list them below. If your club has a web site not listed here, please let us know.
- Tempe— Club #609 in Tempe
Clubs #565 and #800 in Tucson
- Hartford— Club #185 in Denver (session results)
top of page
Miscellaneous Other Scrabble Links
NSA Word Gear—
Scrabble-related equipment, gifts, merchandise, etc.
top of page
Verbalobe contains articles on various aspects of Scrabble play, from
strategy to phonies to rack balacing to how best to learn more words.
Some of the articles are insightful, some aren't.